Weekend in Prison

Had a good weekend helping a friend and his family move to Deer Lodge. We left Helena about 9:30 with my truck loaded with boxes, furniture and people and headed west. After crossing MacDonald Pass at 6368ft we stopped at Stoners Bar in Elliston for a drink. I'm Telling you now, IF you Ever get the chance, CHECK this bar out. The Interior is really unquiue. They Support A "Bigfoot" Hunt Every year. People fly in from all over the United States for this big Event(Party). My Friend Jeff, who I am helping move just told me about it. I'm going to be at the next one!
After getting back on the road, we thought we would cruise to Deer Lodge in no time because the Speed Limit is 70mph, but NO, we got behind a few cars out for a Sunday drive going55-60mph. The raod winds throght the Blackfoot River Valley and there isn't alot of places to pass. We decide to stop at Garrison and use the restrooms and stretch a little. I swear the store there has the best lemonade.It is called "Calypso" and I've only found it two places in Montana so far. One is here at Garrsion Junction and at the Cardwell Store in Cardwell, Montana. Everytime I get a chance to get the lemonade I usually by 6 bottles or more.
Back in the truck and we're on the last leg of our trip to Deer Lodge. Deer Lodge is home to Montana's fist Territorial Prison, and the biggest tourist attraction there. It is a cool place to visit of you have the time. I'll have some pictures posted either later today, or tomorrow morning. The Prsion tour is a self guided one that takes you all different area's of the Prison. The was a riot in 1950 and they had used a Bazooka to quell the uprising. You can still see damage from the riot and Bazooka today. You can walk into the old cells and believe me they are small and gloomy. The cell block has three floors and the Solitary cells were housed in the basement. We walked into a solitairy cell and it was creepy. I believe the Prison should still be this way. I think if they were like this there would be a lot less crime. I don't believe in the "Country Club" prison of today with CABLE TV, GYM, free health care, College, and more rights than we do. I think prison should be hard and tough, not better living on the inside than on the outside. I so believe you should have many rights when you're in Prison. You lost all your right when you chose to break the law. I think we should still have "Chain Ganges, and hard labor. The Deer Lodge Prison walls, and some buildings inside the wall were contructed with convict labor. I feel we should still use convict labor.
Also at the Prison is "Montana's Galloping Gallows" A portable Gallow system that was hauled to all the counties in Montana for public Hangings after criminals were convicted of their crimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stroll & Tree

Catching up